Cedarcrest Southmoor Elementary dismisses students early after natural gas scare Wednesday
BATON ROUGE - An odor briefly forced administrators to clear out a school building in Baton Rouge Wednesday.
A spokesperson for the Baton Rouge Fire Department said students at Cedarcrest Southmoor Elementary School were relocated after an employee smelled what seemed to be natural gas. Officials later said it appeared the smell was coming from a faulty A/C unit.
The natural gas supply to that unit was shut off by an employee and there was no significant amount of natural gas in the air, the department said.
Classes resumed Wednesday after the school received the all-clear from the fire department. The school system later said it was dismissing the school shortly after 1:30 p.m.
Students at Cedarcrest Southmoor will be dismissed immediately in order to assess an electrical issue. Bus riders will be dismissed to their busses, and walkers will be dismissed immediately. If your child is dropped off at school please make arrangements to pick them up.— East Baton Rouge Parish School System (@ebrpschools) September 15, 2021
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Body of dentist found after deadly False River boating crash: 2 killed,...
Waffle House shooting leaves teen dead, 2 others hurt in Ascension
Raging car fire caught on video at Siegen Lane intersection
Coast Guard rescues 7 people, dog from burning boat in gulf
False River shut down Saturday after deadly boating accident; person still missing
Southern baseball wins game one 21-2 over Alcorn
VIDEO: Former Saints and Tiger Devery Henderson talks about the difference between...
New NCAA rules tweak opens door for more SEC dominance
VIDEO: Devery Henderson Talk about Bluegrass Miracle and the Saints "Rebirth game"
VIDEO: Former Tigers and Saints receiver Devery Henderson talks with Corey Rholdon...