Resident's home flooded for 11th time, says Diversion Canal could have saved home
BATON ROUGE - A Baton Rouge homeowner is frustrated after his home flooded for an eleventh time, saying a government-funded canal project could have protected their homes if it had been completed on time.
The Comite River Diversion Canal Project has been delayed for nearly a decade, even though taxpayers have been paying for the project since it was proposed.
Jim Jobes lives near the proposed project, on Donaldson Drive. He recently finished renovating his home, including new appliances. He says his home has flooded 11 times, including this week and in March 2016.
"The house is a total loss," Jobes said.
Jobes' entire neighborhood saw devestating flooding, with water rising halfway up the roof on many homes.
"My house was as nice as it's ever been. I'm losing it."
Jobes says he's been holding on to hope for over a decade, waiting for the completion of the Comite River Diversion Canal.
"Oh, I was elated," he said, refering to when the project was first announced. "Here we go, baby this is going to solve our problem."
Jobes says since the 1980's he, and nearly 100,000 others, have paid a tax to build the canal, which could prevent such severe flooding. But the canal has not been built.
"I don't know where to go," Jobes said. "I don't. I might leave the state because I can't live here in this. I cannot endure this any longer."
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Water, power goes out in Hundred Oaks neighborhood after pipe ruptures
Survivor Series: After beating breast cancer, woman now helping others do the...
Family-owned antique shop re-opens in time for Denham Springs Fall Festival after...
Early voting for upcoming election starts September 30
LSU students working on Library of Congress project to share Veteran's stories