Baton Rouge, Louisiana
7 Day Forecast
Follow our weather team on social media

Initial police report indicates other officers rescued injured BRPD patrolman after shootout

8 years 1 week 2 days ago Monday, February 15 2016 Feb 15, 2016 February 15, 2016 12:21 PM February 15, 2016 in News
Source: WBRZ

BATON ROUGE - Baton Rouge Police released the criminal history of the man who shot two police officers in a shootout Saturday.

Calvin Smith, 22, died from injuries he received when the two officers he shot returned fire. He was taken to a hospital where he died a day after the shooting.

Monday, police said Smith was at the tail end of probation for a conviction. Smith's criminal history consisted of arrests for drugs, illegally carrying of a weapon, DWI, sexual battery, contributing to the delinquency of juveniles, battery and cruelty. Smith was convicted for cruelty when prosecutors combined the sexual battery and contributing to the delinquency of a juvenile charges. Similarly, drug and gun charges were combined for a single conviction under a drug violation. Both convictions were handled by Judge Trudy White.

Earlier Monday, police also identified the officers shot in the shootout on Fairfields Avenue Saturday morning. Theodore Smith III and Sean Garic were the officers injured. They were assigned to the patrol division, the police department said. Smith joined the force in August 2011 and Garic had been on the force since February 2013.

The initial report obtained by the WBRZ Investigative Unit Monday is nearly identical to what sources inside the department told WBRZ and published first on WBRZ.com Saturday morning. Police said Smith was damaging his ex-girlfriend's vehicle and fleed when officers arrived. Eventually, he stopped, exited the vehicle he was driving and pointed an AR-15 rifle at officers and opened fire. The officers shot back. All three people were hit and injured.

The report, though, provided new information about the rescue of the injured officers. Police said other responding officers rushed Garic and Smith to the hospital. An ambulance took Smith to the hospital.

By Monday morning, only one officer remained in the hospital. Police did not identify which officer had been released.


Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz

More News

Desktop News

Click to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
7 Days