Unattended candle near combustibles results in house fire off Fairfields Avenue
BATON ROUGE - A house fire broke out in a residence off Fairfields Avenue Wednesday morning, and officials traced the source of the blaze to an unattended candle.
First responders with the Baton Rouge Fire Department were called to the 2100 block of West Belfair Drive shortly after 9 a.m.
Upon arriving, they discovered a rear bedroom engulfed in flames and were able to contain the fire to that area.
Even so, the rest of the home sustained heavy smoke and heat damage, amounting to a $40,000 loss.
Thankfully, no one was injured during the incident and the Red Cross is assisting the two residents who were impacted by the event.
Officials say the unattended candle that started the fire had been placed near combustibles.
According to the National Fire Protection Agency, one third of every home candle fires start in the bedroom; three of every five candle fires are from candles being placed too close to combustibles.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
At prosecutors' request, judge pulls bond for accused drug dealer implicated in...
Despite contentious meeting Thursday night, EBR school board won't endorse investigation into...
Movie crew set to film for 'The Mascot' with Mike the Tiger...
Amid push for new stormwater fee, some frustrated EBR homeowners say it's...
Mayor proposing new fee to fund drainage plan; find out how much...
Fans' Choice Player of the Week 4: Central's Glen Cage
Plaquemine's Jayden Rogers leading the Green Devils through music
Southeastern knocks off #4 Incarnate Word on Eli Sawyer game winning touchdown...
McKinley High's homecoming football game canceled after bench-clearing brawl broke out between...
LSU Baseball team volunteers with Baton Rouge's Miracle League