Regional bus service for flood victims ending, few riders
BATON ROUGE - A regional bus service started after the catastrophic August flooding has been discontinued for lack of riders.
The Louisiana transportation department announced Friday that it was ending the service that had been provided for three weeks. It was aimed at getting people who lost their vehicles in the flood to and from downtown Baton Rouge to other communities around the region.
But the transportation department says Friday was the service's final day because few people were using it.
The bus service was provided under a contract with Hotard on a week-by-week basis. The transportation department says it cost $16,500 a week. The federal government will pick up 90 percent of the $49,500 price tag for the three-week run of the service.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Gov. Edwards cautiously optimistic in state's fight against COVID-19
LSU Health Shreveport moving forward with promising clinical trials for COVID-19
Arts Council BR starts 'Hearts From Home' campaign to support healthcare workers,...
Local nurse helping fight dire coronavirus situation in New York
LSU grad files for patent, working with FDA on drug to stop...