Man wounded in deadly shootout released from hospital
BATON ROUGE - A 24-year-old man who was wounded in a shootout that killed two 19-year-old Southern University students has been released from a Baton Rouge hospital.
Baton Rouge Police Sgt. Don Coppola said he was notified Thursday that the man had been released from Our Lady of the Lake Hospital.
Police said the 24-year-old exchanged gunfire outside an apartment complex with 22-year-old Ernest Bernard Felton, a part-time Southern student.
Felton was arrested Sunday on an attempted second-degree murder charge related to the 24-year-old man's shooting. A witness told police that Felton initiated the shooting.
Investigators were awaiting results of a ballistic analysis to determine who's responsible for fatally shooting Lashuntae Benton, of Lake Charles, Louisiana, and Annette January, of Gary, Indiana.
Coppola said the women appeared to be "innocent bystanders."
Police have not determined if the 24-year-old victim will face charges just yet, due to an ongoing investigation.