Man using lighter to light dark area under bed sparks house fire
BATON ROUGE - An early morning fire on Washington Avenue was sparked by the homeowner who was using a flame to illuminate a dark area of the house, the fire department said.
The fire was reported around 1 o'clock Saturday morning.
Firefighters said the homeowner, who was not identified, used a lighter to look under his bed. The flame from the lighter inadvertently caught the bed on fire.
The fire quickly spread to the entire bed and eventually the floor, walls and ceiling. By the time the first fire truck arrived, the fire was burning up 50% of the home.
It took firefighters about 25 minutes to get the fire under control. They were able to contain the blaze to the back half of the house.
The fire was ruled an accident.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
EBR Sheriff's Office investigates deadly Burbank area shooting
Free COVID testing Wed-Thur at Lamar-Dixon Expo Center in Gonzales
United Kingdom approves emergency use of COVID vaccine
First US-approved vaccine to go to healthcare workers, nursing home patients
Bipartisan effort to roll out pandemic relief bill could help millions of...
LSU loses its wide receiver shortly before game against Crimson Tide
Port Allen advances to 2nd round after huge win over Pine
U High has no problems with Evangel Christian in first round
Belaire making 1st playoff appearance in 17 years Friday
Southeastern women blow out Alcorn State on opening day of college basketball...