Kitchen fire on Wenonah Street causes $25k in damages
BATON ROUGE - Personnel with the Baton Rouge Fire Department were called to a house fire in north Baton Rouge, Tuesday morning.
The fire broke out at a residence within the 3400 block of Wenonah Street shortly before 10 a.m. and officials say the blaze was the result of a grease fire in the home's kitchen.
No one was injured during the incident, but the fire caused an estimated $25,000 in damages.
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), the number one cause of house fires is unattended cooking.
One study says that almost half -44 percent- of reported home fires started in the kitchen; sixty-six percent of home cooking fires start with the ignition of food or other cooking materials.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Kids flock to Santa's Mailbox in Gonzales to drop off their Christmas...
New proposal by mayor could mean residents pay more for less garbage...
Parish asking people to move fences again, more DSLD residents affected
Zachary high schooler allegedly shot classmate during off-campus fight; 3 teens facing...
Woman suspected of poisoning husband and boyfriend in separate killings goes to...