Juvenile taken to hospital after electrical outlet reportedly malfunctioned, set BR home ablaze
BATON ROUGE - A child was taken to a hospital Sunday night after an electrical outlet allegedly sparked a house fire.
The Baton Rouge Fire Department said the blaze was reported shortly after 7 p.m. on Brownlee Street, just off Bawell Street. Firefighters arrived to find two rooms inside the home engulfed in flames.
The fire was contained, though much of the house sustained heavy smoke damage.
Investigators were told the fire started after the juvenile plugged a device into a wall outlet and the outlet "flashed."
Paramedics took the child to a hospital, and the youth's injuries were later confirmed as minor.
Red Cross was called to assist the residents.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Early voting for upcoming election starts September 30
LSU students working on Library of Congress project to share Veteran's stories
Pennington Biomedical launches major fundraising campaign
Sheriff: Alleged relationship between student, teacher at Tangipahoa school under investigation
Tiger's Trail RV Resort opens in Baton Rouge