Fire fighter injured in restaurant fire recovering
BATON ROUGE – A St. George firefighter is recovering after being injured while battling a restaurant fire.
The Cast Iron Kitchen on Jones Creek caught fire on Sunday night and caused the roof to collapse on the firefighter who was inside.
"We certainly focus on rescuing your colleague, rescuing your brother because they are truly like a family," Eldon Ledoux, of the St. George Fire District, said.
The firefighter suffered minor injuries and the department is conducting an investigation to make sure that fire fighting procedure was followed.
"We want to find out if anything in our training or response protocol could have prevented it from happening in the future," Ledoux said.
Several nearby businesses are also trying to recover. A personal trainer said that his business received smoke damage. Another business nearby, an embroidery boutique, opened following the fire despite a list of problems.
"Smoke damage, no electricity right now, water damage on the floor and the walls, roof," owner Sherri O'Neal said.
The fire fighter is off-duty until he makes a full recovery.
The department says the fire is still under investigation and the restaurant was closed at the time the fire occurred.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
String of car break-ins in luxury Baton Rouge apartment complex
LSU announces that students will not be required to get COVID-19 vaccines
Coast Guard suspends search for Seacor Power crew, volunteer diver weighs in...
Entergy finds solution for neighborhood with frequent power outages
Woman finds tracking device on car, state police want it back
Legendary Parkview coach Kenny Guillot passes away at 76
Southern Wins Third Straight Bayou Classic
White squad edges Purple in LSU Spring game
'We have a plan': Coach O quiet on how Title IX scandal...
Southeastern regains sole possession of first place in Southland standings with win...