Fire breaks out in Chicago's Hancock skyscraper
CHICAGO - Authorities say a fire that broke out about halfway up the John Hancock Center, one of Chicago's tallest skyscrapers, has been put out. Five people were injured.
Flames and thick smoke poured out of an east side window on the 50th floor Saturday. Authorities said the fire did not leave the residential unit where it began but the apartment was gutted and other residents on the floor would be displaced. The Fire department said the fire was accidental.
The iconic 99-floor building also has offices, shops and an observation floor popular with tourists.
The Fire Department's media office tweeted that of the injured, two were in good condition and three were stable. A spokesman couldn't immediately be reached to provide details.
Firefighters conducted floor-by-floor searches to ensure people were safe.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
As Galligan withdraws from search, committee set to unveil candidates for LSU...
EBR school system cancels plan to return in July, will offer alternatives...
Tom Galligan, Interim LSU president, withdraws from consideration for permanent job
Tuesday's Health Report
INVESTIGATIVE UNIT: Former White Castle mayor arrested for alleged crimes while in...
Legendary Parkview coach Kenny Guillot passes away at 76
Southern Wins Third Straight Bayou Classic
White squad edges Purple in LSU Spring game
'We have a plan': Coach O quiet on how Title IX scandal...
Southeastern regains sole possession of first place in Southland standings with win...