Contractor arrested for defrauding couple, failing to complete work
BATON ROUGE - A man accused of defrauding a couple out of nearly $56,000 last year has been arrested by the East Baton Rouge Sheriff's Office.
In March 2017, a couple gave 34-year-old Anton Richardson Jr. $55,990 to complete work on their home which sustained flood damage in August 2016. After one contractor failed to complete the work months earlier, Richardson assured the couple that he was a licensed contractor who could finish the job.
The money was expected to be used to purchase appliances for the reconstruction, but they were never installed in the residence. After further investigation, the victims learned that Richardson had returned the appliances and pocketed the money for himself.
Since July 2017, the victims had lost all communication with Richardson.
Richardson was arrested this week.
Though, in a phone interview with WBRZ, he said the allegations against him are untrue. Richardson said the homeowners locked him out of the house over a dispute involving the insurance money being used to pay for the renovations. Richardson said he paid for the appliances on a good faith deal that they repay him. When they never did, he returned the appliances.
Richardson said he will fight the criminal charges.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
LSU Athletics announces department-wide pay cuts, layoffs amid pandemic woes
Neighbors share a roof but not political beliefs; plaster porch with opposing...
Local church donates freezers, food and supplies to displaced Sheriff's deputies after...
Absentee ballot deadline is Monday
Storm damage in Grand Isle
Best fantasy players for week 8 in NFL: Fantasy Focus with Reggie...
Fans' Choice Award Winner 2020: Week 4 - Jacoby Howard
Ed Orgeron talks about Brennan's potential return; full Monday press conference
Friday Night Blitz: Week 5 10-23-2020
TJ Finley to replace Myles Brennan as QB this Saturday