BR paramedics wave down driver who didn't realize his SUV was on fire
BATON ROUGE - EMS came to the aid of a man who was driving through Baton Rouge completely oblivious to the fact that his vehicle had caught fire.
Paramedics spotted the unusual sight on Summa Avenue, just down the road from Baton Rouge General Medical Center, Wednesday afternoon. They said they could see flames spewing from a passing SUV, but the driver appeared unaware.
The ambulance waved the man down and got him to pull over along the roadway. The driver, Dorin Fontenett, said he got whiff of an unusual smell while driving but had no idea what was happening under the hood.
Within minutes, the entire front end of the vehicle was engulfed in flames. Luckily, Fontenett was able to get out unharmed.
"I'm just grateful it didn't explode while I was driving," Fontenett said. "I'm grateful, I'm blessed, highly favored... Thank God."
Baton Rouge firefighters were called to the scene to extinguish the flames and help clear the smoldering remains.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Louisiana superintendents ask for looser quarantine rules
No decision yet in case involving former student suing LSU
Upswing in COVID testing as holidays approach
More than 500 turkeys given away to local families in need
City-parish officials voice frustrations after slew of violence in Baton Rouge
Catholic freshman Daniel Beale has been thrown into super stardom thanks to...
Can Jameis Winston lead this Saints offense?; Fantasy Focus Week 11 with...
Fans' Choice Award Winner 2020: Week 7 - Baylor Langlois
Clay Polk is Central football's master of mystery
Late defensive stands and timely passing give Catholic 27-21 win over Acadiana