14 years after surviving gas chamber, St. Louis dog dies
ST. LOUIS (AP) - A dog who gained attention 14 years ago when he emerged alive from a St. Louis gas chamber for strays has died.
Quentin's death was announced Sunday by his owner, Randy Grim, founder of Stray Rescue of St. Louis. The mixed-breed dog had suffered a stroke.
Quentin was among eight dogs that were to be euthanized at the city pound's gas chamber in 2003. Quentin's owners surrendered him because they were moving to an apartment that didn't allow pets.
The dogs were placed in an airtight box, and carbon monoxide was pumped in. Seven died, as expected. But somehow Quentin survived with no ill effects.
When that news spread, 700 applicants sought to adopt Quentin, but Grim kept him.
Grim says Quentin's story helped spearhead the no-kill movement for stray pets.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Officer shot, killed in Mandeville was former Marine; leaves behind 7 children
East Baton Rouge on track to break record number of overdose deaths
FEMA issues Livingston Parish deadline for flood prevention master plan
Zachary man drowns while attempting elaborate marriage proposal in Tanzania
Police officer dead, another injured after shooting in Mandeville
Southern Center Jaylon Brinson excited to play in front of home town
Fans' Choice Award Winner 2019: Week 1- Isaiah Jones
Coach O Postgame after Lsu defeats Texas 45-38
Hunter Register leads Southern's offense despite loss to McNeese
Taylor Bannister's journey to becoming a LSU Volleyball Superstar