Police give safety tips for trick-or-treating on Halloween
BATON ROUGE – The Baton Rouge Police Department and other agencies have a few safety tips for those who plan on trick-or-treating for Halloween this year.
The safety tips for parents are as follows:
- Do not leave home without a charged cell phone in case they have an emergency or in case a parent gets separated from their child.
- Write a phone number and address on their child's arm or costume in case they are separated or get lost so another adult can help find them.
- Parents should take a picture of their child before going out.
- Keep an eye on your child at all times and do not go trick-or-treating in an unfamiliar neighborhood.
- Remind children to never enter in someone's home.
- Consider adding bright tape or stickers to costumes so drivers can see them. Another option is having children carry glow sticks.
- Make sure costumes are properly sized in order to avoid falls and don't obstruct a child's vision.
- Do not let their child eat any candy that has been unwrapped or looks like it may have been tampered with.
- If a child has allergies, make sure to help sort their candy before eating.
State Police wants to remind residents that it is illegal for a registered sex offender to participate in Halloween trick-or-treat activities. Parents can find information regarding sex offenders and predators in their neighborhoods by visiting the Louisiana Sex Offender and Child Predator Registry online here.
If parents become aware of sex offenders involved in Halloween activities where children are present, contact local law enforcement immediately.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Animals abandoned at construction site of animal shelter
Office Park highlights more drainage problems they say have gone unaddressed for...
Hiring incentives paying off from some businesses
Concrete canal erodes, causes sinkhole in neighbor's yard
Louisiana District Attorney's Association working to fix broken system involving multiple bonds