Mayor: New Orleans spending $400K a day on hotel collapse
NEW ORLEANS (AP) - New Orleans' mayor says the city has been spending about $400,000 a day to respond to the partial collapse of a hotel more than a week ago.
Mayor LaToya Cantrell spoke Monday during a news conference one day after the city used controlled explosions to bring down two cranes that had been looming over the building.
The Hard Rock Hotel on the edge of the French Quarter was under construction when part of it collapsed. Three people were killed.
One of the bodies has been removed. Cantrell said they are still working on recovering the other two bodies.
Cantrell says the $400,000 figure doesn't include the hit to the city's economy. She says the city is tracking expenses and intends to seek reimbursement from the "responsible party."
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Livingston schools chief doesn't plan to close schools amid teacher 'sick out'...
EBR superintendent on emergency medical leave
Organization trying to raise money to save homes for local veterans
Fans react to Saints first loss of 2020
I-10 West reopened following nearly 18 hour clean-up of Basin Bridge accident
LSU football returns Saturday with no tailgating, 25% capacity in Death Valley
What you need to know before you geaux to Tiger Stadium
Coach O Weekly Press Conference - Game 1 vs. MSU
Coach O speaks with media, says 'most' of team has had coronavirus
LSU's Neil Farrell opting back in for 2020 season