Maintenance worker suffers electrical shock in accident at Capitol Monday, rushed to hospital
BATON ROUGE - On Monday (Dec. 21) morning, first responders rushed to the State Capitol building when a maintenance employee was shocked in an electrical accident shortly after 9 a.m.
Sources told WBRZ that the employee, tasked with seeing to the building's wiring system, was in the process of working on it when he was hurt.
The injured employee is reportedly awake and expected to recover. Officials say he was rushed to the hospital shortly after the incident.
At this time, the worker's name has not been disclosed.
According to the United States Department of Labor, electrocution has been one of the leading causes of on-the-job deaths among construction workers for years. In 2018, it caused 8.5% of the industry's 4,779 deaths.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Days after deadly shooting, district attorney moves to revoke West Baton Rouge...
Self-employed workers eligible for new round of pandemic benefits from LWC
FEMA Disaster Recovery Center opens in Ascension Parish
State agency leader packs office after board removal amid investigation into sexual...
Governor Edwards meets with Congress on disaster recovery funding