Woman rescued from house fire by good Samaritans
BATON ROUGE - A woman was rescued from a burning home by daring good Samaritans Monday.
The fire was at a home on Bartlett Street, near Choctaw. A contractor ran into the home after noticing smoke and hearing the woman call for help.
While the first contractor ran inside, another went to a window to await the woman and the other contractor. Both contractors, who were doing work next door, helped the woman through the window.
The woman needed the help of a walker to get around, and was not able to escape the house on her own, the fire department said. Two dogs also survived, but a third dog died from smoke inhalation.
Family members embraced the heroes outside once everyone was safely outside.
The Baton Rouge Fire Department says the cause of the fire was a lit cigarette left on a chair. The fire department also says it commends these brave men, who risked their lives to save someone else.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Livingston Parish officials say no burn ban coming despite large fire Saturday
Man shot to death in parking lot of Florida Boulevard shopping plaza,...
Chili and Salsa Cook-Off coming to Zachary on Saturday, March 9
Louisiana Association of Fairs and Festivals hosts annual convention amid pageant controversy
Massive brush fire near Livingston Parish neighborhood burns 200 acres Saturday