School district investigating child being left on bus
DENHAM SPRINGS -The Livingston Parish Public School System is investigating a child being left on a school bus Wednesday.
Janice Felder said in an interview, she was notified her five-year-old granddaughter, Kelly, had been left on the bus when a school secretary called about the child's absence from school.
"The secretary said, 'Miss Felder, Kelly is okay but she was left on the bus,'" Felder said.
The bus was left in a church parking lot off Florida Boulevard in Walker, four miles from the school, South Side Elementary in Denham Springs. Felder said her granddaughter got off the school bus and walked to the church where she met a pastor.
The pastor recognized the uniform and reported the situation. Felder said the bus driver and bus aide came back to get Kelly and take her to school. Felder is frustrated she was never notified about the issue until Kelly was returned to school.
"What if it wouldn't have been a minister? What if it had been somebody else, somebody just walk away or take her away?"
School system superintendent John Watson said he is in touch with the people involved.
"The child was left on the bus in a church parking lot approximately for an hour and 15 minutes. There is protocol in place to prevent such an occurrence. We are currently collecting information about the incident. We are unable to discuss personnel information. However, it will be appropriately addressed. The safety of our students is of utmost importance and we take this very seriously," Watson said in a statement.
Kelly, Felder said, will no longer be riding the school bus.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Lawmakers hear from business owners impacted by pandemic as unemployment runs low
Livingston daycare employee arrested on juvenile cruelty charges
Man found shot in truck on Greenwell Street Friday has died
LSU could lose up to $80M if football is canceled, university president...
Police: 3 women charged with attacking restaurant hostess over coronavirus restrictions