Joint state investigation launched into Angola allegations
BATON ROUGE - Multiple state authorities said Friday they were launching a joint investigation into allegations of wrongdoing at Angola state penitentiary.
Representatives with Louisiana State Police, the state Inspector General's Office and the Department of Corrections said they were looking further into "rumors" about Angola operations, but would not give more details.
Greg Phares with the Inspector General's Office said the allegations were different than questionable real estate dealings between outgoing warden Burl Cain and family members of Angola prisoners, which state agencies were already looking into.
Col. Mike Edmonson, the superintendent of Louisian State Police, said the investigation involved time sheets and other employee records at the prison, but did not elaborate.
Cain made the surprise announcement earlier this month that he was retiring from his position as warden of Angola state penitentiary on Jan. 1. The position would be filled in the interim by the warden of Dixon Correctional until a permanent appointment can be made.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Mother and daughter shot during man's deadly rampage Sunday have 'long road...
Livingston leaders look into safety measures after another weekend of Tiki Tubing...
Baton Rouge man left with bills, after inmate escapes and breaks into...
Monday's Health Report
At least one COVID patient checked in every hour at Baton Rouge...
LSU QB Myles Brennan suffered 'severe' injury to his left arm; unclear...
Angelo Izzard leading Southern Lab by example
Full interview with Brent Zwerneman of the Houston Chronicle on Texas &...
Sports2-a-Days Preview: Dutchtown Griffins
Southeastern unveils three new logos in latest rebranding effort