Wheelchair bound man dies in Gretna-area house fire
GRETNA, La. (AP) — A disabled Louisiana man was killed after food left unattended on a stove sparked a fire, state fire investigators said Wednesday.
The fire happened Tuesday just after 6 p.m. in an apartment complex with four units in Gretna, a suburb of New Orleans, the state Fire Marshal’s Office said in a news release.
The victim was a 55-year-old man who was confined to a wheelchair, authorities said. His body was found in a rear bedroom. The Jefferson Parish Coroner’s Office will conduct an autopsy to determine a cause of death.
Witnesses told investigators the victim’s father, who he lived with, left to go to a store and turned the burner on low before leaving instead of turning the stove off.
Working fire alarms were not found in the apartment.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Unclaimed $50K Powerball ticket has officially expired
Video shows Madison Brooks leaving Tigerland bar before deadly wreck; Reggie's releases...
Downtown BR's new parking kiosks still not working; city waiting on license...
Shop served hot lunches after tornado ripped through New Roads, knocking out...
Channel 2's Best Bet$: NFL Conference Championships