91°
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
7 Day Forecast
Follow our weather team on social media

Wheelchair bound man dies in Gretna-area house fire

3 months 4 weeks 1 day ago Thursday, April 09 2020 Apr 9, 2020 April 09, 2020 5:35 AM April 09, 2020 in News
Source: Associated Press
A disabled 55-year-old Gretna man was killed after food left unattended on a stove sparked a fire, state fire investigators said Wednesday. Photo: Louisiana State Fire Marshal

GRETNA, La. (AP) — A disabled Louisiana man was killed after food left unattended on a stove sparked a fire, state fire investigators said Wednesday.

The fire happened Tuesday just after 6 p.m. in an apartment complex with four units in Gretna, a suburb of New Orleans, the state Fire Marshal’s Office said in a news release.

The victim was a 55-year-old man who was confined to a wheelchair, authorities said. His body was found in a rear bedroom. The Jefferson Parish Coroner’s Office will conduct an autopsy to determine a cause of death.

Witnesses told investigators the victim’s father, who he lived with, left to go to a store and turned the burner on low before leaving instead of turning the stove off.

Working fire alarms were not found in the apartment.

More News

Desktop News

Click to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Radar
7 Days