Space heater starts fatal fire in Gretna apartment
GRETNA - Authorities say a portable space heater placed too close to a bed in a Gretna apartment apparently sparked a fire that killed a 61-year-old man.
Deputy Chief Brant Thompson of the state Fire Marshal's Office said in a news release Calvin Williams apparently died Tuesday from smoke inhalation, though his body also had severe burns.
Thompson says tenants in two other units were uninjured but displaced.
He says there were no working smoke alarms on the property.
An autopsy will be performed to determine the cause of death.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
High School graduates grateful for different, yet meaningful commencement ceremony
Louisiana closing in on 200k test goal for May; tracking 'reasonably well'...
Hurricane season and the pandemic - Shelters during COVID-19
Crash on I-10 at Siegen Lane leaves 3 injured
I-10 widening project at EBR-Ascension line nears completion
Southern baseball players meet for unofficial practice in Port Allen
Kenan Cooper is first from West Feliciana to swim collegialety
LSU rolls out new turf in Tiger Stadium overnight
LSU Coaches dish on latest with football team
New West Feliciana football coach unsure of when he'll meet his new...