Port Allen mayor's childhood home destroyed in fire
PORT ALLEN - Crews responded to a large house fire Friday evening in Port Allen.
The fire was reported around 8:30 p.m. near the 700 block of Rosedale Road. DOTD traffic cameras caught footage of the flames.
The house belongs to Port Allen Mayor Richard Lee's parents, WBRZ learned Saturday morning. Lee grew up in the home.
Mayor Richard Lee told WBRZ, "I got a call from my daughter. She said my dad's house was on fire. I immediately jumped up, headed this way and by the time I got to the house, the fire had reached the roof and it was fully engulfed in flames."
Most of the two-story house is gone, including a car that was parked in the carport.
"Everything inside is a total loss. We don't have anything," Lee said.
The mayor's father, stepmother, and one of their grandchildren were inside of the home when the fire broke out. When the mayor arrived on scene at the burning home built by his father, his first concern was the safety of his family.
Everyone got out unharmed.
"It's just sad that something that he built is now all gone, but it's like anything else: he's still here and this can be replaced," Lee said.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
News 2 Geaux: New rules for oil field tank batteries
LSU to hire Notre Dame's Brian Kelly as next football coach
Report: Notre Dame head football coach making move to Baton Rouge
Giant gummy bear mascot stolen from outside Baton Rouge store
Notre Dame head football coach making move to Baton Rouge