Jack-o'-lantern lighting sends Florida girl to burn center
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. - Authorities say a 7-year-old girl ended up at a north Florida burn center after her grandmother attempted to light their jack-o'-lantern with green flames using household chemicals.
The Florida Times-Union reports that 62-year-old Wanda Michelle Reyna called 911 Sunday evening, saying that fire had splattered on her granddaughter, so she threw the girl into the St. Augustine home's pool. The girl's father was already driving the girl to the hospital, but dispatchers diverted him to the nearest fire station.
St. Johns County Fire Rescue spokesman Lt. Jeremy Robshaw says the girl was taken to a Gainesville hospital.
A sheriff's office report says the family had been following a YouTube video to make green flames.
It was not immediately clear what injuries the girl suffered but Reyna told the Times-Union Monday that the girl was fine and that the sheriff's office was blowing the accident out of proportion.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Newly signed bill to create new crime district in Old Goodwood
Woman dies after crash involving fire truck
Businesses cashing in on the Disney action filmed at Celtic
Wetland consultant says more needs to be done to protect city from...
Livingston Parish prepares for potential rain events
Emotional Paul Mainieri reads notes left behind by fans at Alex Box...
LSU Tigers are ready for Super Regional weekend
LSU battles back to beat Oregon in Regional final
Coach Paul Mainieri announces retirement after 15 seasons at LSU
Brennan Stuprich named Southland Freshman of the Year