Freak accident burns home under renovation after the August 2016 flood
DENHAM SPRINGS – A freak accident left a family cleaning up and worrying about their next chapter instead of celebrating the 4th of July this week.
Days earlier, a tree took down a utility pole and when the power line fell into a house, it sparked a large fire. The fire on Tate Road Monday evening, burned the home shared by Linda Morgan and Donna Alello, a mother and daughter.
The family was just settling into the home after it flooded during the August 2016 catastrophe.
“We were not even quite finished remodeling from the flood and now we have the fire to deal with,” Donna said.
The fire coming as a shock - they pair heard a 'boom,' smelled smoke and found a large fire.
“And it was a noise probably like a gunshot; Times ten,” Donna said.
They've lived in the home since the 70's.
The flames melted the vinyl from around the house and burned through a back part of the home, too. What didn't burn was soaked by water.
“We're just celebrating being alive, and having people around us that are going to...I have people in line waiting to help us and having my family cause a lot of people don't have that,” Donna said.
The family set up a crowdfunding campaign HERE.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
7-year-old starts 'Trash 2 Curb' business to raise money for college
What to expect for WBRZ's Fireworks on the Mississippi
Domestic dispute leads to shooting in Baker; one person injured
How a rape survivor was ordered to pay child support; watch the...
Baton Rouge businesses are hopeful developers can turn blight into success
Sports2-a-Days: St. Amant Gators
Sports2-a-Days: Springfield Bulldogs
Matt Trent and Blake Ruffino recap the past week in LSU sports
'I couldn't sign it fast enough:' Zion Williamson extending contract with Pelicans
Dunham QB Jackson House using football to build stronger bond with his...