Confirmed Ebola cases rise to 13 in Congo's latest outbreak
KINSHASA, Congo (AP) - Congo's health ministry says the number of confirmed cases in a new outbreak of the Ebola virus has risen to 13, including three deaths.
The World Health Organization has warned that this new outbreak of the deadly virus in North Kivu province poses a particular challenge as the region is a "war zone" with several active armed groups.
The nearby city of Beni and heavily traveled borders with Uganda and Rwanda also complicate efforts to contain the disease, which is spread via contact with the bodily fluids of those infected, including the dead.
Congo announced the latest outbreak on Wednesday with four confirmed cases, a week after declaring the end to a previous outbreak in the northwest with 33 deaths.
It is not clear whether the new outbreak is related.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Hurricane Ian likely to affect Louisiana homeowner's insurance rates
Denham Springs fall festival brings fun to community, improvements to city's historic...
High schools being asked to play some football games on Thursdays due...
DOTD now says I-10 lane closures will last 14 months; previously said...
Overnight closures planned on I-10, I-110 in Baton Rouge this weekend
Fans' Choice Player of the Week 4: Central's Glen Cage
Plaquemine's Jayden Rogers leading the Green Devils through music
Southeastern knocks off #4 Incarnate Word on Eli Sawyer game winning touchdown...
McKinley High's homecoming football game canceled after bench-clearing brawl broke out between...
LSU Baseball team volunteers with Baton Rouge's Miracle League