Baton Rouge, Louisiana
7 Day Forecast
Follow our weather team on social media

Some flooded homes may require elevating

7 years 3 months 1 week ago Thursday, August 25 2016 Aug 25, 2016 August 25, 2016 3:54 PM August 25, 2016 in News
Source: WBRZ

CENTRAL - City building officials in Central want residents to make sure their houses have properly dried out and meet proper elevation standards before repairs begin.

Does your home meet elevation standards?

Officials stress it's still being determined which homes would require elevating. A town hall meeting for Central residents will be held on Friday at 6 p.m. at Zoar Baptist Church on Hooper Road.

Officials say some older homes in high-risk flood zones may require elevating or raising. These are homes that are likely decades old and have never been elevated or were not elevated enough to begin with. These houses would likely be in flood zones that are classified as "A" or "AE." Homeowners can check their flood zone classification by using the tool at the LSU Ag Center flood website.

Officials note that just because a house is in a high-risk flood zone does not mean it will be required to be elevated.

Homeowners are encouraged to be patient and stay in contact with local building permit officials, insurance companies and FEMA to find out if their houses require elevation.

The federal government reminds homeowners that every home has some risk of flooding, although some areas are designated more high risk than others. The feds encourage all homeowners to get flood insurance.

Free Moisture Inspection

The Central City Building Office is offering free moisture inspections for flood damaged homes. To schedule an appointment, simply contact the city's permit office. To learn more about moisture inspections, watch this video.

Officials say the inspections will greatly reduce the chances of mold infesting a house after it’s repaired. Mold could force homeowners to demolish walls and floors again for additional repairs.

Residents in and outside of Central can also have a qualified contractor test the home for a fee. The state provides a list of qualified contractors.

More News

Desktop News

Click to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
7 Days