Mother, daughter killed after kitchen goes up in flames Saturday morning
BAKER - A mother and her daughter were killed when their apartment kitchen went up in flames around 6:30 Saturday morning.
The fire was reported at a location in the 5000 block of Baker Blvd. just east of Mchugh Road.
After the fire was extinguished firefighters found a 34-year-old woman deceased in the apartment's dining room, while her 8-year-old daughter was found deceased in the living room.
Authorities identify the victims to be Dominique Holden and her daughter Iyonna Holden both died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
According to the Brownsfield Fire Department, the husband of the victim came home after a late night work shift and called 911 when he noticed the fire.
The State Fire Marshal's Office confirmed the fire investigation and said the fire was confined to the single unit where the blaze erupted. There were no smoke alarms located in the apartment.
The cause of the fire as been ruled as accidental.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
A federally-backed mass vaccination site opened up at Bon Carre Business Center...
Residents along the Amite River have been dealing with flooded roads since...
Local restaurants struggling to hire employees as business increases
COAST GUARD: Two more unresponsive crew members recovered from capsized lift boat...
Woman's missing unemployment benefits may have gone to wrong bank account
Southern Wins Third Straight Bayou Classic
White squad edges Purple in LSU Spring game
'We have a plan': Coach O quiet on how Title IX scandal...
Southeastern regains sole possession of first place in Southland standings with win...
Max Johnson in the mix for LSU starting quarterback job