Lobdell Boulevard apartment fire set by child playing with lighter
BATON ROUGE - Fire crews say a massive fire on Lobdell Boulevard was caused by a child playing with a lighter Wednesday afternoon.
The fire was reported around 3 o'clock in the afternoon at the Aspens Apartments. Fire crews closed roads in the area to battle the blaze.
The inhabitants of the building, including a dog rescued in a large mesh box, were able to get out of the burning complex.
Investigators say the fire stemmed from a six-year-old playing with a lighter. Four of the ten units of the building were destroyed, six more received heavy smoke damage.
EMS treated one resident on the scene, and later released the victim.
Officials will place the child in the Junior Fire Setters Program.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
LSU to vote on price increases for women's basketball tickets
LSU Board of Supervisors to meet with Presidential finalists Thursday
President Biden to visit Lake Charles Thursday
People gather for Cinco de Mayo as more become vaccinated, mask mandate...
Advocates say 'most critical work' lies ahead after four children left motherless...
LSU pitcher Matt Beck gets his moment at the plate
Brusly baseball needs extra innings to win regional series with Jennings.
Southern Athletic Director Roman Banks talks about coaching search
Drew Brees and Sean Payton enjoy the Zurich Classic
Legendary Parkview coach Kenny Guillot passes away at 76