January meeting set to discuss flood spending plans
BATON ROUGE - Plans for spending more than $1 billion in newly approved federal flood recovery money will be discussed at a Jan. 6 meeting of the Restore Louisiana Task Force.
U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julian Castro announced Friday that Louisiana would receive more than $1.2 billion, part of a disaster relief package approved by Congress earlier this month.
Gov. John Bel Edwards said in a news release that federal rules require the state to present a plan to HUD before the money can be spent. He said he and the Louisiana congressional delegation worked to secure the money. It's in addition to $438 million earmarked for Louisiana in September.
Edwards said the money doesn't cover all of the state's needs but marks a "significant milestone in our recovery."
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Mental hospital for 'dangerous' patients won't be built in BR neighborhood; lawmakers...
Tigerland bar actively training employees to promote safer nights out
Egg prices are declining, but experts say it's still not a bad...
Homeless encampment continues to worry nearby Baton Rouge homeowners
BRPD launches crime analysis dashboard for public to see real-time trends in...