Port Allen mayor's childhood home destroyed in fire
PORT ALLEN - Crews responded to a large house fire Friday evening in Port Allen.
The fire was reported around 8:30 p.m. near the 700 block of Rosedale Road. DOTD traffic cameras caught footage of the flames.
The house belongs to Port Allen Mayor Richard Lee's parents, WBRZ learned Saturday morning. Lee grew up in the home.
Mayor Richard Lee told WBRZ, "I got a call from my daughter. She said my dad's house was on fire. I immediately jumped up, headed this way and by the time I got to the house, the fire had reached the roof and it was fully engulfed in flames."
Most of the two-story house is gone, including a car that was parked in the carport.
"Everything inside is a total loss. We don't have anything," Lee said.
The mayor's father, stepmother, and one of their grandchildren were inside of the home when the fire broke out. When the mayor arrived on scene at the burning home built by his father, his first concern was the safety of his family.
Everyone got out unharmed.
"It's just sad that something that he built is now all gone, but it's like anything else: he's still here and this can be replaced," Lee said.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
A 10-year-old businesswoman putting her stamp on the skin-care industry
Woman bites camel to save herself after freak encounter in Iberville Parish
Officer shot, killed in Mandeville was former Marine; leaves behind 7 children
East Baton Rouge on track to break record number of overdose deaths
FEMA issues Livingston Parish deadline for flood prevention master plan
Southern Center Jaylon Brinson excited to play in front of home town
Fans' Choice Award Winner 2019: Week 1- Isaiah Jones
Coach O Postgame after Lsu defeats Texas 45-38
Hunter Register leads Southern's offense despite loss to McNeese
Taylor Bannister's journey to becoming a LSU Volleyball Superstar