Trump plans to slash US refugee admissions
WASHINGTON - A U.S. official says the Trump administration is planning to slash refugee admissions in the upcoming fiscal year to what could be the lowest level in more than a decade.
The official said Tuesday that President Donald Trump this week is expected to announce a cap of 45,000 refugees to be admitted in fiscal year 2018, which begins Sunday.
It is not clear if the administration intends to reach that cap. Even that number would be the lowest number of refugees admitted to the U.S. since 2006, when 41,223 were allowed in.
Other officials said last week the administration was considering options to admit between 40,000 and 50,000. All the officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss internal administration deliberations.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
U.S. Supreme Court Justices nix 2nd majority Black district in Louisiana for...
License plate mix-up discovered months after car purchase
Livingston Parish announces plan to expand Juban Road
Louisiana judge temporarily blocks enforcement of statewide abortion ban
Closed since 2016 flood, Baker High School on track to return next...