State to require job training for food stamps
HAMMOND - The governor said he plans to require able-bodied adults ages 18-49, who have no dependents, to get workforce training for food stamps Thursday.
The new regulation would keep 47,000 people on the food stamp program if they all participate. The individuals faced being kicked off food stamps when the previous administration chose not to accept federal money for food stamps months before Governor John Bel Edwards took office.
Edwards reversed the order when he took office and Thursday announced the details about the plan during a news conference in Tangipahoa Parish at the Business and Career Solutions Center. The state will provide training to recipients, the governor said.
Office of the Governor of Louisiana
“There are so many of our Louisiana adults who want to find a way to work, but because of circumstances beyond their control have not been able to move forward,” said DCFS Secretary Marketa Walters. “Under Governor Edwards’ initiative, we will meet each individual participant where they are to help make a difference in each life in a meaningful way.”
The new rule begins July 1st. Training will be handled through the Louisiana Workforce Commission. The state will contact the people who qualify and explain how the new process works.
Federal funding will support most of the training, the governor's office said.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Plans for a new Mississippi River Bridge underway
Busted catch basin called into 311 last month, still no repair date
Jury selection begins for suspect accused in 2015 killing of Baton Rouge...
Nevaeh Allen's biological father heartbroken over 2-year-old's death
News 2 Geaux: St. Helena Parish Schools reopen following Hurricane Ida