Strange odor prompts evacuation of school building at LSU
BATON ROUGE - Classes were cleared out of a building on LSU's campus after a odd smell led to concerns over a potential chemical leak.
Authorities say the strange odor was reported around 2 p.m. at Coates Hall near the LSU Student Union. Firefighters and a hazmat crew were called to investigated what was reported to them as a chemical leak.
Students and faculty were evacuated as a precaution.
They just told us to evacuate Coates bc of a toxic smell TWO HOURS AFTER we complained about the smell!!!!— Mackenzie (@kenziekatharine) September 11, 2018
Son coates bout to blow up ???????? we just got evacuated out— The Infamous Boudréaux (@NofinesseDre) September 11, 2018
An LSU spokesperson says the smell is believed to have been caused by a malfunction in the building's power supply. The school does not believe any dangerous chemicals were released into the air.
LSU police say the building has since reopened, but one hallway is closed off as it airs out.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
At least 100 cats & dogs rescued from dead woman's home
'Worst perfect storm' affecting thousands of unemployment claims
INVESTIGATIVE UNIT: Environmentalist faces potential fines for dumping raw sewage into waterway
Club owner plans to take legal action after fire marshal shuts down...
Monday's Health Report