Baton Rouge, Louisiana
7 Day Forecast
Follow our weather team on social media

Community remembers fallen EBRSO Lt. Shawn Anderson

7 years 3 months 1 day ago Thursday, March 23 2017 Mar 23, 2017 March 23, 2017 7:42 AM March 23, 2017 in News
Source: WBRZ

BATON ROUGE – The funeral for an East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s deputy who was fatally shot over the weekend took place Thursday.

Lt. Shawn Anderson, 43, was shot and killed Saturday outside of an O’Neal Lane business near I-12. Anderson was responding to the scene in reference to a rape investigation. While outside of the business, deputies struggled with the suspect and shots were fired.

Anderson was struck and transported to an area hospital and later died from his injuries.

“Our hearts are broken as we grieve for one of our brothers,” Sheriff Sid Gautreaux said.

Anderson began working for the sheriff’s office in May 1999. He served in several divisions including narcotics, parish prison, K-9, emergency services unit, maritime response team and SWAT. Anderson also served in Uniform Patrol at Burbank, Scotlandville and most recently Kleinpeter substation.

Anderson was presented the Life Saving Award in 2010 for saving the life of a woman on the Mississippi River bridge. He was also recognized in 2014 for serving more than sixty high risk warrants in 2013 as a part of SWAT with no injuries or shots fired and in March he was recognized for delivering a baby on the side of the road last year.

Sheriff Sid Gautreaux said at the funeral that he was proud to have worked with Anderson.

“He was funny kind and compassionate. He was loved by many. I’m proud that he was a part of the East Baton Rouge Sheriff's Office family," Gautreaux said. 

Gautreaux also announced that he promoted Anderson from a sergeant to a lieutenant and awarded him with the Medal of Valor. 

Anderson's wife shared memories of the couple's first date and remembered him as "doing what he loved." She stated that she remembered him telling her, "I'm not afraid of getting shot. I'm not afraid of dying. I'm afraid of leaving you and the kids here by yourself."

Anderson's daughter described moments she shared with her father while playing on several of her sports teams. She described her father as one of the bravest and funniest people that she knew and said that he was always supportive.

"I just still can't believe this is actually happening, but I know you are watching over me and that's all that matters."

Visitation was held at Healing Place Church from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Funeral services immediately followed the visitation.

The processional route for Lt. Anderson began on Highland Road and went to Airline where many friends, family and citizens paid their last respects before he was laid to rest. 

The final radio call for Anderson was transmitted after the funeral services, followed by .  

More News

Desktop News

Click to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
7 Days