Ten-acre grass fire sparked by stuck pickup's hot exhaust
SPRINGFIELD - A stuck pickup truck's exhaust sparked a sprawling grass fire Saturday.
Livingston Parish Fire Protection District #2 reported the fire happened off of Coates Road in Springfield.
Firefighters said the people in the truck were spreading grass seeds in a field when their vehicle got stuck. The truck's exhaust was hot enough to ignite a fire when it came in contact with grass in the field, firefighters said.
Fire officials said low humidity and strong winds caused the fire to spread rapidly, eventually scorching nearly 10 acres of land.
Firefighters from Ponchatoula, Colyel, Albany, and Fire District 4 worked together to put out the fire.
According to the fire district, a nearby resident also used a tractor to help contain the fire until Forestry officials could arrive with a bulldozer.
The blaze destroyed the stuck pickup truck, but no injuries were reported, firefighters say.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Accused killer back in jail Saturday after allegedly committing drive-by shooting while...
18-year-old from Gonzales died in hospital after shooting on Avenue H
Parishes unite to clean the Amite and Comite rivers, locals still left...
Generational home faced with next-door eyesore amid city's blight initiative
McKinley High's homecoming game canceled after bench-clearing brawl broke out between teams
Southeastern knocks off #4 Incarnate Word on Eli Sawyer game winning touchdown...
McKinley High's homecoming football game canceled after bench-clearing brawl broke out between...
LSU Baseball team volunteers with Baton Rouge's Miracle League
Fans' Choice Player of the Week 3: Scotlandville Covanta Milligan
Saints vs Bucs postgame report