Strong gas odor at Dutchtown High sends dozens of people to hospitals Thursday morning
GEISMAR - The more than two dozen people who were treated at local hospitals following gas fumes at Dutchtown High School have been discharged.
Students headed back to class Thursday after the campus was evacuated due to a reported gas leak in the school.
The school system says the incident was due to lawn mower fumes going into the air vents of the school. Multiple people reported feeling nauseous and ill.
The school said Thursday afternoon the odor was caused by a mower parked in front of a main fresh air intake outside the school. The intake caused the mower's exhaust to permeate throughout the school building.
Parents were allowed to check their students out of class early, and all absences will be excused.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Sheriff's deputy shot, wounded in St. Tammany; 13-year-old suspect in custody
Baton Rouge security company offers active-shooter technology as part of security training
Central City Council approves funding for more license plate readers
Laplace bracing for 2022 hurricane season
After owners' sex crime arrests, Tiki Tubing no longer plans to open...
Southern baseball wins game one 21-2 over Alcorn
VIDEO: Former Saints and Tiger Devery Henderson talks about the difference between...
New NCAA rules tweak opens door for more SEC dominance
VIDEO: Devery Henderson Talk about Bluegrass Miracle and the Saints "Rebirth game"
VIDEO: Former Tigers and Saints receiver Devery Henderson talks with Corey Rholdon...