Latest Weather Blog
St. Amant home destroyed after fire started by self-cleaning oven
ST. AMANT – A home was left destroyed in St. Amant following a fire that was started by a self-cleaning oven.
According to the St. Amant Volunteer Fire Department, the homeowner fell asleep on Monday night while the self-cleaning mode on his oven was on. The homeowner woke up to find his home filled with smoke and fire around the stove.
The homeowner ran outside to get a fire extinguisher to try and put out the fire himself. The door to the home was open, causing the fire and flames to grow larger, according to the fire department.
Upon realizing that he could not stop the fire, he called for help. Firefighters arrived on the scene to find the home fully engulfed in flames. The home was not able to be saved. The exact location of the home has not been released at the time of this post.
The St. Amant Volunteer Fire Department advises that those using a self-cleaning oven to use with caution and to watch the process as it can cause the oven to smoke and start fires. The department also advises residents to call 911 first if a fire starts in their home and to keep the windows and doors closed as oxygen causes flames to grow.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
New Mississippi River bridge location still undecided but will have tolls, DOTD...
BRPD helicopter crash victims hailed as heroes before deaths
Metro Council member loses property dispute case, ordered to pay $57K in...
INVESTIGATIVE UNIT: Air traffic control tower was unmanned at time of deadly...
Contentious tax proposal backed by Livingston Parish schools fails in weekend election
Lady Tigers celebrate as they punch their ticket to the Final Four
LSU women's basketball, prepping for Elite 8, has a unique fan watching...
Channel 2's Best Bet$: Sweet 16
LSU women's basketball looking to fight Michigan's height with speed
LSU Baseball opens SEC play - WBRZ Sports Takeover