Baton Rouge, Louisiana
7 Day Forecast
Follow our weather team on social media

Officer identified in Monday night's deadly shooting; family of man killed speaks out

6 years 8 months 1 week ago Monday, November 13 2017 Nov 13, 2017 November 13, 2017 7:48 PM November 13, 2017 in News
Source: WBRZ

BATON ROUGE – A man killed by a Baton Rouge Police officer at an apartment complex Monday evening was under investigation for child abuse allegations at the time of the deadly shooting.

The man killed has been identified as 24-year-old Calvin Toney. Multiple sources have identified the officer who shot him as Darrell Carter, a two-and-a-half-year veteran with BRPD.

Toney's live-in girlfriend was arrested days before the altercation as part of a child cruelty investigation, too. Click HERE for the details on the woman's arrest. 

CLICK HERE to read the preliminary report on Toney's death from the coroner. 

State Police are investigating the shooting, the protocol established by an agreement the agencies signed earlier this year.

An investigator from the state Department of Children and Family Services asked for a police escort about 6:30 p.m. at The Palms Apartments on McClelland Drive. On Monday, state police revealed that DCFS was investigating Toney due to allegations of child abuse. After they arrived at the apartment complex, police say a 'lengthy' struggle unfolded between the officer and Toney.

District Attorney Hillar Moore described a chaotic situation between the two – a person not handcuffed and fighting with police and trying to reach for a weapon – likely the officer's TASER.

“There was a struggle… a long struggle… [with officers] which led to the shooting,” Moore said.

Click HERE to watch Moore's full interview.

State police now say Toney was tased multiple times before the officer shot him once in the chest. After he was shot, Toney attempted to flee the scene, however he collapsed and was placed in handcuffs.

EMS soon arrived on the scene and the handcuffs were removed as paramedics attempted to treat Toney for his injury. He was soon pronounced dead at the scene.

The officer involved had a minor injury as a result of the struggle, authorities said, but they did not elaborate.

The officer's name was not immediately released, as is typical in police-involved shootings.

Over the course of the evening, a crowd gathered around the crime scene tape. Occasionally, the mood became angry toward police – with people chanting "hands up, don't shoot!" and "black lives matter!”

The mayor, who also spent time at the scene of the shooting, asked people to remain calm and allow investigators to do their jobs.

“I am sure that the [Louisiana State Police] will demonstrate the highest level of transparency throughout this investigation. I ask that the community withhold judgment on this incident until the LSP concludes its work,” Mayor Sharon Weston Broome said in a statement.

Click HERE to watch Broome's full interview.

A State Police spokesperson said there was officer-issued body camera video of the incident and it was being reviewed. Video was not released Monday.

Authorities would not say if any weapons were recovered from the scene.

“We're still collecting evidence at this point,” a State Police spokesperson said during a news conference at 10:00 Monday night.

Click HERE to watch State Police's full news conference.

Details of the DCFS investigation were also not released Monday.

Toney pleaded guilty in 2014 in a 2012 incident in which his 19-month-old daughter was hospitalized with third-degree burns over about 15 percent of her body. Investigators also learned that the baby had many fractures -- including to her skull, arm, leg and collarbone -- in different stages of healing.

Toney's sister Kajala claims her brother was trying to turn his life around.

"My brother was a loving, caring, understanding brother that you could ever have," she said. "He was everything and didn't deserve this at all... our family is really going through it right now."

Toney was sentenced to seven years in prison with credit for time served. The rest of the sentence was suspended and he was placed on probation for five years. He failed to report to the state Probation and Parole office and was arrested a couple of months later in an attack on the mother of that child, who was described at that time as his ex-girlfriend. His probation was revoked in April 2016.

"I'm not fixing to sit up here and act like my nephew is a saint.. but he served time," Toney's uncle, Leroy Tackino, told WBRZ. "He was changing his life and doing good."

Check back for updates.

Related Stories

More News

Desktop News

Click to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
7 Days