Student reportedly passed out drug-laced snacks to classmates, prompting emergency response at BR school Friday
BATON ROUGE - Multiple children were treated after students possibly ingested drugs at a charter school on Friday.
"Basically a young girl came to school with some edibles that looked like cookies, and she asked her friends did they want some," explained student Jermia Wyble.
Paramedics and Baton Rouge police were called to Democracy Prep on Prescott Road around 1 p.m. Friday.
"They didn't know they were edibles. She just offered them cookies, not telling them what they were," Wyble said.
Six students were evaluated, and all are expected to be OK. One was taken to a local hospital in stable condition.
"Some of them ate the whole thing. Some of them ate parts of it, and because some of them ate the whole thing it caused them to get like crazy. They didn't know what was going on... they was having that reaction because they're edibles," she said.
This is the second school this week where an ambulance had to be called after students ingested what may have been drug-laced snacks.
The school released the following statement on Friday:
"Today one of our scholars alerted us that they believed a student had passed out edibles assumed to be a controlled substance to other students. As soon as we heard this information, we immediately contacted EMS, the police, and reached out to the parents of the students affected. This is an unfolding situation and everyone is cooperating fully with the investigation. There is nothing we take more seriously than the health and wellbeing of our students and we want to thank the authorities and particularly EMS for responding within minutes to the school. At this time we understand that all of the affected students are in stable condition and are being reunited with their parents."
Wyble was adamant that Friday's incident doesn't reflect the school at all.
"I would say it's still a really good school because no matter what you do, the teachers will still always ride for you. Soon as the teacher realized the behavior was off, they was quick to investigate, and they were quick to call an ambulance," she said.