Plan would shift $190M in flood aid from homeowners to canal
BATON ROUGE - Lawmakers in the state House are proposing to divert $190 million in Louisiana's congressional disaster recovery money to a flood protection project. The move would strip some aid earmarked for homeowners struggling to recover after last year's flooding.
The House Appropriations Committee added language to next year's budget proposal to allocate the dollars to the Comite River Diversion Canal. The years-old project is aimed at lessening flood risks in parts of East Baton Rouge and Livingston parishes.
Rep. Valarie Hodges, a Denham Springs Republican, proposed taking the money from $1.6 billion in federal disaster block grant aid. She says it's the best opportunity to build the canal.
It's unclear if federal officials would agree to divert the dollars. Gov. John Bel Edwards' administration objects to taking the money from homeowners.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
LSU begins unenrolling students who didn't comply with COVID entry protocols
WATCH: BR local becomes youngest American in space Wednesday; see the SpaceX...
State Farm resisting Hurricane Ida evacuation compensation order
Fans' Choice Player of the Week 2: Liberty's Kaleb Jackson
After threatening to 'unenroll' noncompliant students, LSU president says he doesn't plan...