Improper disposal of used fireworks leads to a New Year's Day house fire
LAFAYETTE PARISH - Firefighters say the improper disposal of fireworks led to a New Year's Day house fire in Scott, Louisiana.
According to KATC, first responders were called to a home in the 200 block of Vincent Drive shortly after midnight, Wednesday.
Fire and smoke were coming from the home's roof by the time firefighters arrived, they made their way into the attic and quickly extinguished the flames.
All six of the people who were in the home at the time of the fire were able to escape safely. Two pets were among the unharmed escapees.
Firefighters say an investigation into the incident revealed that the fire was accidental.
Apparently, a resident discarded used fireworks in an outside plastic trash bin that was placed next to the home. The fireworks were still smoldering when discarded and eventually, flames spread to one of the home's exterior walls before creeping into its attic.
The house sustained major damage to its attic and minor damage to a living area.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
School Board to meet Thursday evening regarding 'Smart Start Plan'
Virtual EBR Schools job fair to take place Thursday evening
Family of missing crew aboard capsized offshore oilfield vessel remain hopeful
Thursday morning's storms may be followed by even more storms
Early morning storm in Ascension Parish
'We have a plan': Coach O quiet on how Title IX scandal...
Southeastern regains sole possession of first place in Southland standings with win...
Max Johnson in the mix for LSU starting quarterback job
Coach O admits to mistakes, takes steps to correct them in the...
Saints QB Jameis Winston gets emotional discussing Drew Brees