Latest Weather Blog
BRFD: Cigarettes thrown into trash can ignites carport, demolishing home
BATON ROUGE - A home near Shenandoah caught on fire Sunday morning after occupants threw cigarettes into a trash can underneath a carport, according to fire officials.
The Baton Rouge Fire Department said the home on Woodlyn Drive caught fire shortly before 2:30 p.m. Sunday.
Firefighters said the occupants put cigarettes in an outdoor trashcan underneath a carport when they were finished smoking.
One of the occupants told firefighters they noticed the trash can was on fire, so they went into the house to find something to put out the flames.
When they returned, the flames had spread to the carport, eventually moving to the structure of the residence.
There were no injuries, and the Red Cross has been contacted to help the nine displaced residents.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Baker School Board approves teacher raises during Tuesday evening meeting
New bill adds option to donate bone marrow to state registration
Third graders who fail new reading test three times will not advance...
'We were set up for failure:' White Castle Police Department runs out...
Man beaten to death in Baton Rouge was father of officer killed...
LSU blasts 4 homers in 13-7 win over Oregon State to advance...
LSU baseball prepares for NCAA Regional play
LSU, Tulane to meet in first round of Baton Rouge Regional as...
LSU president reminisces during team trip to DC
Southern baseball sweeps Arkansas-Pine Bluff to finish out regular season