BREC receives grant to construct trail connecting Downtown and North Baton Rouge
BATON ROUGE – Thanks to a large federal grant, a new bike/walking trail is in the works.
Monday morning, BREC received a federal grant valued at more than $3.7 million to construct a multi-use trail connecting Downtown and North Baton Rouge.
The first phase of the project will begin at Memorial Stadium Sports Complex and end at Scotlandville Parkway. This phase will connect people and neighborhoods along the way to recreational facilities, schools, churches and more. The second phase will provide further connections into downtown linking to the DDD Downtown Greenway.
“This is a real game-changer and eventually, this trail will make it possible for residents to go between Southern University and LSU on their bicycles or on foot as one section will connect to the Downtown Greenway and the other will be extended to the Southern University Campus,” said Superintendent Carolyn McKnight.
The total cost of the project will be more than $4.1 million with the federal grant funding 80 percent of the project. BREC funding the remaining 20 percent at a cost of more than $800,000.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Handful of missing crew members identified; search still underway
LSU confirms body found Tuesday is missing student Kori Gauthier
Biden to pull US troops from Afghanistan, end 'forever war'
Video show mariners navigating choppy waters from inside capsized boat
Jury selected in trial of 'Serial killer' Kenneth Gleason, opening statements begin...
'We have a plan': Coach O quiet on how Title IX scandal...
Southeastern regains sole possession of first place in Southland standings with win...
Max Johnson in the mix for LSU starting quarterback job
Coach O admits to mistakes, takes steps to correct them in the...
Saints QB Jameis Winston gets emotional discussing Drew Brees