Baton Rouge DA says Alonso could face death penalty
BATON ROUGE - District Attorney Hillar Moore said the man accused of murdering a Baton Rouge couple earlier this week, could face the death penalty if brought back to Lousiana.
This morning, Alonso remained quiet before a Florida judge, while his lawyer said law enforcement agents will have to go through the public defender's office before they proceed with any further questioning.
Moore says the 42-year-old accused killer may fight the extradition process, "Just any chance they have to fight coming back because obviously Louisiana wants him for either a life imprisonment case or a death case."
Police say Ernesto Alonso beat Dennis and Suzanne Duplantier until they opened the safe inside their Highland Road home. According to investigators, he strangled the couple and then left their bodies inside a car parked outside a truck stop in Hammond. Alonso then fled thousands of miles away, to the Miami, Florida area, where he remains under police custody.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Saints fans disappointed after devastating loss against Tampa Bay
Crawfish shop owner expecting prices to drop soon, demand to increase
Very few protesters attend rally at Louisiana State Capitol, Saturday
Baton Rouge residents celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s legacy with a...
LDH confirms first case of U.K. COVID Variant in Louisiana