Baton Rouge, Louisiana
7 Day Forecast
Follow our weather team on social media

Assistant police chief resigns after cyberstalking arrest

3 years 9 months 4 days ago Friday, October 16 2020 Oct 16, 2020 October 16, 2020 10:21 PM October 16, 2020 in News
Source: WBRZ

CENTRAL - A high-ranking member of the Central Police Department has been on leave since August. Assistant Police Chief Darren Sibley was arrested last week on a warrant out of Mississippi.

According to a letter from Police Chief Roger Corcoran to Mayor David Barrow, Sibley was arrested Friday after a crash in East Feliciana Parish. State police ran Sibley's name after his car went off-road during a storm and discovered he had an arrest warrant for cyberstalking out of Lawrence County, Mississippi. The warrant was issued on October 9.

Sibley was taken into custody and booked into the East Feliciana jail.

On Friday, Oct. 16, Sibley resigned his position with the Central Police Department.

Chief Roger Corcoran released the following statement:

"On August 13, 2020, I placed Sibley on administrative leave for possible violations of policy and procedures in reference to an investigation involving Sibley being conducted by the East Baton Rouge Sheriff's Office. The investigation began on August 12, 2020 stemming from an incident that occurred while Sibley was off duty.

Last Friday, as Hurricane Delta made landfall, I was notified Sibley had been arrested on a warrant issued that same day by a judge in Lawrence County, Mississippi. Sibley was on administrative leave at the time of the incident in Lawrence County and his subsequent arrest.

As there are still ongoing investigations, Central Police will not have further comment on this matter."

On September 23, Sibley filed charges against Tyler Weeks. Weeks is facing three counts of aggravated battery. Court documents say the two were in a relationship and while in Mississippi got into a heated argument in which Weeks punched Sibley at least eight times then took a pair of brass knuckles to his face.

The affidavit says Sibley was driving Weeks' car while it happened and when he exited the vehicle Weeks armed himself with a four-way lug wrench and chased Sibley around the front yard. Weeks eventually struck Sibley on the head and then got back in the car and drove forward, striking Sibley.

Sibley has been with the Central Police Department since 2019. He's been on leave since August 13, with pay pending an investigation involving domestic abuse violence. Tuesday, Sibley was put on leave without pay. Prior to Central, Sibley was with the Livingston Parish Sheriff's office and Zachary Police Department. He resigned from both.

More News

Desktop News

Click to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
7 Days