Overloaded power cord cause of 79th Street house fire
BATON ROUGE - Fire investigators say a Friday afternoon house fire in the 1600 block of 79th Avenue was caused by an overloaded power cord.
The Baton Rouge Fire Department responded to the scene just before 2 p.m., and the fire was under control within 10 minutes.
Firefighters arriving on the scene found fire in the front bedroom, and were able to contain the blaze to that room. The house was empty at the time of the fire, and no injuries were reported.
The house received heavy smoke damage, causing an estimated $5,000 in damage to the building.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
DEMCO helps Florida get the lights back on after hurricane
K9 recovering after suspect shot at deputies in Tangipahoa Parish
High-ranking Ascension Parish deputy ticketed for DWI, suspended
Woman arrested in capital area after murder in St. John Parish
High-ranking Ascension Parish deputy suspended after DWI, wasn't booked into jail
Fans' Choice Player of the Week 4: Central's Glen Cage
Plaquemine's Jayden Rogers leading the Green Devils through music
Southeastern knocks off #4 Incarnate Word on Eli Sawyer game winning touchdown...
McKinley High's homecoming football game canceled after bench-clearing brawl broke out between...
LSU Baseball team volunteers with Baton Rouge's Miracle League