FBI head suggests agency paid more than $1M to access iPhone
WASHINGTON - FBI Director James Comey has hinted that the FBI paid more than $1 million to break into the locked iPhone used by one of the San Bernardino attackers.
At an Aspen Security Forum event in London on Thursday, Comey said the FBI had paid an unidentified third-party more money than he'll earn in his remaining seven years as FBI director.
He did not reveal the precise amount.
The Justice Department last month revealed that an outside entity had approached it with a method that could hack into the phone used by Syed Farook, who along with his wife killed 14 people in the December attacks before dying in a police shootout.
Federal officials have said that the method was successful, though they haven't revealed what it was.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Good Samaritan meets with family of missing BR teen
Teen missing, toddler drowned in separate incidents involving vacationing capital area families
Residents gather to help high crime rate community
Body of dentist found after deadly False River boating crash: 2 killed,...
Waffle House shooting leaves teen dead, 2 others hurt in Ascension
Southern baseball wins game one 21-2 over Alcorn
VIDEO: Former Saints and Tiger Devery Henderson talks about the difference between...
New NCAA rules tweak opens door for more SEC dominance
VIDEO: Devery Henderson Talk about Bluegrass Miracle and the Saints "Rebirth game"
VIDEO: Former Tigers and Saints receiver Devery Henderson talks with Corey Rholdon...