Family homeless since flood starts fire in abandoned house
CENTRAL – A family left homeless after the flood sparked a fire while trying to take cover from morning rain Wednesday.
The fire department told WBRZ News 2 reporter Brett Buffington, the family was living in a tent and went looking for shelter in an old, abandoned home. The fire started just before 11 a.m. Wednesday.
When firefighters got to the scene, they found a wheelchair bound mother, and her son. The two told the rescuers, the son was using a propane grill inside the abandoned home to cook lunch when the fire started. Firefighters believe that grill is to blame for the blaze.
The Red Cross has been called in to help the two.
The fire was on Dyer Road near the Comite River.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Local restaurants struggling to hire employees as business increases
COAST GUARD: Two more unresponsive crew members recovered from capsized lift boat...
Woman's missing unemployment benefits may have gone to wrong bank account
Second body recovered miles from lift boat as Coast Guard continues search...
Defense lawyers questioning BRPD drug squad cases amid corruption investigation
'We have a plan': Coach O quiet on how Title IX scandal...
Southeastern regains sole possession of first place in Southland standings with win...
Max Johnson in the mix for LSU starting quarterback job
Coach O admits to mistakes, takes steps to correct them in the...
Saints QB Jameis Winston gets emotional discussing Drew Brees