Child, adult burned badly in Christmas duplex fire; 10 homeless after blaze
BATON ROUGE - An early morning fire on Christmas Day injured a child and an adult. In all, ten people are homeless after the inferno in the Gardere area.
St. George Fire Department crews were called to a blaze at a duplex on Skysail around 2 o'clock Saturday morning. The duplex where the fire is believed to have started was engulfed in flames, the fire department said. The fire also burned into the neighboring duplex, which was also destroyed.
Four people escaped the unit where the fire started. But, two of the four inside - a child between 10 and 12 and a woman in her 20s - were burned and had to be taken to the hospital. Their injuries were described as "serious burn injuries" by firefighters.
Two other children inside the burning duplex escaped unharmed.
Six people lived in the neighboring duplex and were homeless because of the fire. All six escaped without being hurt. Of the six, three were children.
The fire department said the blaze is still under investigation.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Twin Spans in Northshore partially shut down after Thursday crash
Pediatric cardiologist arrested in Baton Rouge child porn investigation
School board members say school system 'dropped the ball' on Day of...
Fourth arrest made after Baton Rouge mail carrier's master key stolen in...
40 years after a Livingston train derailment evacuated thousands, one business owner...
Fans' Choice Player of the Week 4: Central's Glen Cage
Plaquemine's Jayden Rogers leading the Green Devils through music
Southeastern knocks off #4 Incarnate Word on Eli Sawyer game winning touchdown...
McKinley High's homecoming football game canceled after bench-clearing brawl broke out between...
LSU Baseball team volunteers with Baton Rouge's Miracle League